Why don't we see beyond faces???
Happy new year all!!
Have you ever wondered why someone cannot see your point even when you can clearly articulate it? Why do we get blamed or blame others in a conversation moving away from the topic of discussion? Why does a conversation started with good intentions reaches a dead end with heated arguments?
Well, I had the same feelings in my heart and questions in my head after an experience I had. I recently read an online article justifying the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA). I thought of leaving a reply explaining the reasons why we should not support the act. The reply was along the lines that we should not discriminate between refugees based on religion as they all face similar problems or basically we cannot quantify what someone went through. One line in the reply was 'third-world nations provide maximum shelter to refugees'. The reason to add the point was that India is a developing country.
The story started here. One person comes from somewhere to say western countries are also providing a lot of support for refugees. I agreed with the point and defended mine saying it is based on UNHRC's statistics (United Nations wing working with refugees). From this point, the rant continues to degrade the third-world nations and the pathetic situation in these countries. To this, I gave examples of how the western world created unrest and wars just to control power. After all these conversations the person comes to the conclusion that I am supporting CAA. This puts me off guard and makes me think again about where I started from.
Let's take a small break here. Right now, I want all of you to stop and check your own thoughts. What content is your brain reacting to?
On my stance on CAA?
On religion or a particular religion and how it is right or wrong to support CAA based on religion?
On third world nations and how they have been a victim?
On developed nations or western nations and how they have exploited third world nations or how they have always been the saviors and champions and been alleged falsely despite their help?
This is exactly what we ALL do. Not able to see beyond faces aka not able to see the real issue at hand keeping aside our emotions. The face can be my stance on an issue, my religion, my country, or the story of a nation. Do you want to know what is the consequence?
The consequence is a person creating an image of me based on the stance I have on western nations: when I clearly state we should not support CAA. The person who read my replies thinks that I hate western countries and I am a victim of third-world nations and communist nations' propaganda and decides that I would support CAA which discriminates against people on religion.
I think this is a big mistake we all make. When we are conversing we all get distracted by the facts which challenge our beliefs and forget why we are talking or the issue at hand. Even when we all agree on the issue, many times we unnecessarily end up having arguments. I think it is important to notice when we do this mistake. Because this is the base of all misunderstandings and disputes. To build good relationships with others and to create a healthy society we must start seeing beyond faces. That is recognizing the prejudices we have and how that act in our decisions, relationships, and life. If we can focus just on the problem this world can be a better place.
What are you all thinking? Please let me know in the comments section.
Comments
Post a Comment